- 1978 Dipl.-Ing., 1982 Dr. Ing., Technical University of Munich, Germany, in the field of VUV spectroscopy of plasma discharges.
- 1990 Dr.-Ing. habil., Technical University of Munich, Germany, in the field of optical waveguide optimization.
- 1987 development engineer at "European Aeronautic Defence and Space Agency EADS", formerly Messerschmidt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB) in the field of Laser- and Fibre Optic-Sensors.
- 1991 head of the department "Fibre Optic Gyros", focussing on passive FOG configurations.
- 1995 head of the department "Inertial- and Sensor Techniques"
- 1997 director of the section "Flight Control Systems" with the departments Mechatronics, Electronics, Optronics, Navigation, Telemetry- and Testsystems.
- Since 1999 university professor for electrical engineering at the "Karlsruhe Institute of Technology", formerly University of Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 1999 - 2018 Director of the "Institute of Systems Optimization". Research interests are focused on Guidance, Navigation & Control of dynamic platforms for aerospace and automotive applications: GPS-, Laser- and vision aided inertial systems, deeply coupled GNSS/INS integration, SAR terrain aided navigation systems, vision aided indoor localization and guidance, cooperative autonomous Micro Aerial Vehicles (MAV) with image based tracking and geo-localization capabilities.
- 2002 - 2004 Vice Dean of the Department of "Electrical Engineering and Information Technology" at the "Karlsruhe Institute of Technology".
- 2004 - 2010 Dean of the Department of "Electrical Engineering and Information Technology" at the "Karlsruhe Institute of Technology".
- Vice Chair of the Section "Unmanned Aerial Systems" within the “Deutsche Gesellschaft für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DGLR)".
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the "German Institute of Navigation (DGON)".
- Head of the Commission "Inertial Sensors" within DGON.
- Conference Chairman of the international DGON conference “Inertial Sensors and Systems”.
- Elected Member of the "Academy of Navigation and Motion Control", Russia.
- Member of the International Program Committee of the “Saint Petersburg International Conference on Integrated Navigation Systems ICINS”, Russia.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the "Journal of Navigation", Royal Institute of Navigation, UK.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal "Gyroscopy and Navigation", Springer.
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Journal “MDPI Sensors”
- Director of the International Scientific Laboratory "Integrated Navigation and Attitude Reference Systems", Russia
- IEEE Senior Member.
- Fellow (FRIN) of the "Royal Institute of Navigation", UK.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Gert F. Trommer
Tel.: +49 721 608-42620
Fax: +49 721 608-42623
info∂ite kit edu
Academy of Navigation and Motion Control, Russia
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), USA
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Luft- u. Raumfahrt (DGLR)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ortung und Navigation (DGON)
Gesellschaft der Freunde des Botanischen Gartens München
Gesellschaft Deutscher Naturforscher und Ärzte
IEEE Aerospace & Electronic Systems Society, USA
Institute of Navigation (ION), USA
Royal Institute of Navigation (RIN), UK
Sierra Club, USA